Software Engineer, Web
The Browser Company
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2023
Hi, we're The Browser Company 👋 and we're building a better way to use the internet.
Browsers are unique in that they are one of the only pieces of software that you share with your parents as well as your kids. Which makes sense, they're our doorway to the most important things — through them we socialize with loved ones, work on our passion projects, and explore our curiosities. But on their own, they don’t actually do a whole lot, they’re kind of just there. They don’t help us organize our messy lives or make it easier to compose our ideas. We believe that the browser could do so much more — it can empower and support the amazing the things we do on the internet. That’s why we’re building one: a browser that can help us grow, create, and stay curious.
To accomplish this lofty task, we’re building a diverse team of people from different backgrounds and experiences. This isn’t optional, it’s crucial to our mission, as we need a wide range of perspectives to challenge our assumptions and shape our browser through a bold, creative lens.
With that in mind, we especially encourage women, people of color, and others from historically marginalized groups to apply.
About the Role
As a Software Engineer, Web you’ll build Arc’s presence on the web. You'll work closely with the Product, Infrastructure, Design and Data Teams to craft gorgeous online websites, build in-browser features, and maintain our backend services. By designing experiences that integrate a disparate set of web technologies, you’ll grow Arc’s brand recognition and contribute to one of the next most influential pieces of software.
Overall you will...
- Own and maintain both the frontend and backend code bases for our online web presence
- Work with our Design and Membership Teams to build product experiments, permalinks to native features, marketing pages, and new web experiences
- Pair with our Data and Storytelling Teams to build marketing and SEO experiments
- Pair-program with designers to prototype new and interesting interaction models for features in Arc
- Have the opportunity to jump into the product code itself and build new functionalities in Swift
Within 1 month you will...
- Get onboarded onto the team and codebase with an onboarding buddy
- Learn about our product philosophy, company values, and how we work together through a series of onboarding presentations and workshops
- Get familiar with our Web stack and backend architecture.
- Have shipped a few features across our codebase
- Have pair programmed with a portion of the engineering team
Within 3 months you will...
- Have worked on 5+ projects across the codebase, each with a different set of engineers and designers
- Be the point of contact for bugs and product iterations of our web stack
- Be involved in weekly engineering discussions about our architecture, how we do code review, code style, and more
- Be regularly posting feedback about using the browser in our #dogfooding channel
- Be prototyping on the web, building new properties and landing pages
Within 6 months you will...
- Be interview trained and interviewing candidates for roles at the Browser Company
- Be familiar with some Swift and how browser features are built
- Be familiar with our terraform configuration to deploy new infrastructure or update our build pipelines
- Be leading projects from conception to production launch
- Thinking about our backend architecture, and how we can build and iterate faster on connected features
- Working with our growth team to iterate on our web properties to improve our funnel metrics
- You have experience with web development and relevant frameworks - e.g. Typescript, React, etc.
- You have experience with backend web development languages, APIs, and frameworks - e.g. NodeJS, GraphQL.
- You have experience with backend web platforms - e.g. Vercel, Firebase.
- You have experience tech leading critical projects or initiatives within your team and organization
- You are user-focused: you’re curious about user behavior, eager for qualitative and quantitative feedback, and prioritize creating meaningful experiences for our members
- You're excited to work in a fast-paced startup environment, and you embrace testing and learning quickly to refine the product and internal processes alike
- You have at least 4 hours of overlap time with team members located in Eastern Standard Time
Compensation and Benefits
With our flexible compensation model, employees have the ability to design their compensation according to their needs. People join startups for different reasons and we want to be accommodating and flexible to everyone’s lives. Every candidate approved for an offer receives two options:
✉️ The first offer is a lower salary with a higher equity package
✉️ The second is a higher salary with a lower equity package.
Candidates can choose either option or anywhere in between the two on a sliding scale. The annual salary range for this role is $150,000-$280,000 USD, and the actual salary range offered will vary based on experience level and interview performance.
In addition to a competitive salary and equity package, we provide every employee with:
- comprehensive benefits package, with employee medical, dental, and vision premiums covered at 100%
- 401k plan
- flexible vacation policy, with a recommended minimum of 20 days off (no maximum!)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- $1,500 USD home office stipend
- Employees based in the US also receive free annual memberships to One Medical, Talkspace, Teladoc, and HealthAdvocate
The Browser Company is a well funded, ambitious startup of about 60 people (and growing!) who are passionate about building great products. We are a remote-first, distributed team, with the option to work in office in New York. We strongly support diversity and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.