Software Engineer, Reliability
The Browser Company
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2023
Hi, we're The Browser Company 👋 and we're building a better way to use the internet.
Browsers are unique in that they are one of the only pieces of software that you share with your parents as well as your kids. Which makes sense, they're our doorway to the most important things — through them we socialize with loved ones, work on our passion projects, and explore our curiosities. But on their own, they don’t actually do a whole lot, they’re kind of just there. They don’t help us organize our messy lives or make it easier to compose our ideas. We believe that the browser could do so much more — it can empower and support the amazing things we do on the internet. That’s why we’re building Arc: a browser that can help us grow, create, and stay curious.
To accomplish this lofty task, we’re building a diverse team of people from different backgrounds and experiences. This isn’t optional, it’s crucial to our mission, as we need a wide range of perspectives to question our assumptions and shape our browser through a bold, creative lens.
With that in mind, we especially encourage women, people of color, and others from historically marginalized groups to apply.
About the Role
As a software engineer working on Reliability, your role will be to improve the performance, stability, and security of our browser, working on the Arc client, server, toolchain, and observability stacks. Your work will contribute to creating a more streamlined, robust, and secure experience for all our members.
You'll be tackling questions such as:
- How can we optimize the performance of our browser across multiple platforms?
- How can we ensure the utmost stability and security while maintaining fast iteration cycles?
- How can we enhance our tooling and observability to better understand and improve our system?
- How do we build and maintain a robust, intuitive, and maintainable codebase?
Overall you will...
- Scope and spearhead technical projects across server, client, browser, and OS layers.
- Creatively design new features and systems that abstract away complexity for product engineers, ensuring stability and velocity.
- Find creative ways to improve reliability via static analysis, CI checks, and tooling.
- Effectively help the team invest in observability, tooling, stability, and performance alongside building new systems.
- Give back to the Open Source community! We believe in upstreaming our work to benefit the larger engineering community who support our product.
Within 1 month you will...
- Get onboarded onto the team and codebase with an onboarding buddy.
- Receive a number of onboarding presentations on how we give each other feedback, the phases a startup goes through, our values, and more.
- Get familiar with Swift, our Chromium architecture, and our build, performance, and stability tooling.
- Have shipped a few bug fixes and features across our codebase.
Within 3 months you will...
- Be familiar with our Swift architecture, and be thinking of ways to make writing stable and reliable features the default for product engineers
- Be involved in weekly engineering discussions about our architecture, how we do code review, code style, and more
- Be involved in infrastructure discussions like how we add better observability to debug issues in production, how we better monitor performance regressions, and how we improve our crash rate and stability metrics
- Be regularly posting feedback about using the browser in our #dogfooding channel
Within 6 months you will...
- Be interview trained and interviewing candidates for roles at the Browser Company
- Be familiar with C++ and how we interact with and build on top of Chromium
- Be adjusting our terraform config to deploy new infrastructure or update our build pipelines
- Be leading projects from conception to production launch
- Be mentoring and pair programming with newer engineers to help them get spun up on the codebase
- You have a strong track record for leading critical reliability projects or initiatives for a large, complex application
- You have experience working on large, complex codebases.
- You have a deep understanding of systems and how to optimize them for better performance, stability, and maintainability.
- You are passionate about creating tools that make engineers' lives easier.
- You appreciate a well-configured, maintainable build tooling system.
- You're pragmatic and can see the bigger picture; you're able to reason about prioritization and scope
- You have a bias towards action, moving quickly to implement new systems and features.
Compensation and Benefits
With our flexible compensation model, employees have the ability to design their compensation according to their needs. People join startups for different reasons and we want to be accommodating and flexible to everyone’s lives. Every candidate approved for an offer receives two options:
✉️ The first offer is a lower salary with a higher equity package
✉️ The second is a higher salary with a lower equity package.
Candidates can choose either option or anywhere in between the two on a sliding scale. The annual salary range for this role is $150,000-$300,000 USD, and the actual salary range offered will vary based on experience level and interview performance.
In addition to a competitive salary and equity package, we provide every employee with:
- comprehensive benefits package, with employee medical, dental, and vision premiums covered at 100%
- 401k plan
- flexible vacation policy, with a recommended minimum of 20 days off (no maximum!)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- $1,500 USD home office stipend
- Employees based in the US also receive free annual memberships to One Medical, Talkspace, Teladoc, and HealthAdvocate
The Browser Company is a well funded, ambitious startup of about 60 people (and growing!) who are passionate about building great products. We are a remote-first, distributed team, with the option to work in office in New York. We strongly support diversity and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.