Front End Software Engineer
Do you want to empower organizations to fairly and equitably hire, promote, retain and compensate their employees? Syndio is a Series-C technology company committed to fairness in the workplace. Fueled by investments of $83M from Bessemer Ventures, Voyager Capital and social change organization Emerson Collective, Syndio is investing in growing our team and products.
This is a critical moment when organizations are looking for ways to take tangible action to fight gender and racial bias, and we believe creating diverse and inclusive workplaces for all starts with workplace equity.
About the role
We are looking for a Front End Software Engineer who’s excited to solve technical challenges in a fast-paced startup environment. You will join Syndio at a critical moment, as we invest in our engineering and product teams to evolve the platform to meet increasingly complex user needs and expand our portfolio of products consisting of PayEQ, OppEQ and PayFinder. You will deliver scalable engineering solutions and transform thoughtful, consistent designs into world-class applications and user experiences that ensure customers meet their workplace equity and fairness goals.
Why this job is exciting
- Contribute to define a long term technical direction and vision for improving and scaling our product.
- Participate in the design and development of new features and services delivered to Syndio end users.
- Implement pragmatic approaches to building enterprise software on a flexible and modern UI framework to deliver a high quality experience to our enterprise customers.
- Work with frameworks that grow with the needs of the team, product, and its users, and that strengthen performance and security.
- Work closely with cross-functional (backend, frontend, product, design, site reliability) teams to evolve, and develop a user experience that makes lasting workplace equity possible for customers.
- Work with the frontend and backend engineering teams to define requirements.
- Collaborate on APIs, and develop a high quality frontend application and user experience.
- Design, propose, and implement consistent approaches, reusable and maintainable code libraries, and application design geared towards quality, maintainability, and user experience.
- Work with the design team to ensure designs are sensible and maintainable, and implement design systems and pattern libraries to support a growing team and platform.
- Within 1 month, you’ll be fully ramped, engaging with the code base, fixing bugs, and shadowing the Syndio frontend engineering team.
- Within 3 months, you’ll work on and ship a minor feature.
- Within 6 months, you’ll collaborate with the broader team to ship features.
- You have significant experience designing and building high volume, scalable applications.
- You are competent in common front-end build pipelines and tools (we use Babel, Webpack, NPM).
- You have good working knowledge of current testing methodologies including unit testing and end-to-end testing (we use Cypress and react testing library).
- You’re keeping up with current trends and best practices in front-end architecture, including performance, security and usability.
- You have experience working with provided microservices and collaborating with a backend team to build out API requirements.
- You’re able to mentor peers and lead based on this expertise.
- Your application development and critical thinking skills enable you to focus on pragmatic platform requirements, while striving for a world-class user interface.
- You thrive working in a collaborative environment, with a team that communicates well and ensures they’re delivering on each other’s needs.
- You add positive energy to the team, and make your coworkers feel included in every interaction.
- You are a team player, able to work towards a common goal, while also speaking up to challenge assumptions and investigate better ways to solve customers’ root problems.
- You’re excited to support initiatives within Syndio that leverage and build your skills and interests.
- Required: Located in Greater New York, Greater Seattle, or Bay Area only
- Experience in full stack or back-end development (we use Go and Postgres)
- Proficiency using CSS modules and/or frameworks to style responsive web applications (we use Flexbox, Grid, TailwindCSS)
- Knowledge of Typescript (or a strong desire to learn it)
- Experience with chart building libraries (such as Highcharts)
- Familiarity with WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines)
- Previous experience in B2B, SaaS, or enterprise settings
Why you'll love it here:
- 👥 Check out our Employee Experience page for more information on our Mission & Values, Work-Life Balance, Pay Transparency, Diversity, Culture, and Benefits.
- 💰 Competitive Compensation. For this role our base salary is targeted at $133,000-156,000 per year. Final offer amounts are determined by factors such as experience and expertise. We take a geo neutral approach to compensation within the US, meaning that we pay based on job function and level, not location.
- 🏆 Syndio Equity. So you can share in Syndio’s success.
- 🏝 Flexible Vacation Policy. We encourage our team to recharge when they need to, plus paid sick & safe time, compassion leave, and voting leave.
- 🐣 16 weeks of paid parental leave.
- 🩺 Medical, Dental, Vision. Syndio pays 90% of employee premiums, and 50% for dependents.
- 🏥 Life Insurance & Disability. Syndio covers the full premium.
- 🏦 401(k). To help you save for your future.
- 📍 Fully remote model - #LI-Remote
The interview overview
Below you'll find an outline of the interview plan for our Front End Software Engineer position. Please note that this is what we expect the process to look like; we may ask you for supplemental information or require an additional step before making a final decision.
- 20 min phone call with a member of our Talent Team
- 30 min Zoom interview with the Hiring Manager
- A take-home assignment (This replaces live coding in further interviews)
- A series of Zoom interviews with several key team members:
- Front End Team - 45 min - Come ready to discuss into your take-home assignment and do a technical deep dive with two FE engineers
- Back End Team - 30 min - Expect a high level technical and cultural interview meant to assess communication and teamwork skills with two Backend Engineers
- Product Team - 30 min - This interview will focus on culture and values fit with one Product member
At Syndio, we're building a diverse team that values candor, curiosity, and community. If you share these values and are interested in joining us, we'd love to talk with you even if you don't 100% meet the "about you" listed here. We don't expect anyone to have all the answers, as long as you're willing to learn and grow with us.
Employees joining the Syndio team at this early stage of growth will impact this critical social issue and support a growing customer base (including Nordstrom, General Mills, Match Group, and others) to take tangible action on workplace fairness.
Syndio is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are building an inclusive and collaborative workplace as we grow, and we welcome team members regardless of gender/identity, sexual orientation, race or cultural background, religion, physical disability and age.