Senior Full Stack Engineer
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2021
Senior Full-Stack Engineer
Ridwell is a service that inspires people to create a future without waste. Today, we make it easy to reuse and recycle more by identifying recyclable and reusable items that the city doesn't collect, picking them up from our customers' doorsteps, and matching them with local partners that can use them sustainably. Our future plans go much further and include making zero waste a reality for millions.
We are a social purpose corp, meaning sustainability is not just a company value - it's fundamental to the purpose and interests of our company. Our mission is to empower communities to waste less, and every success our team celebrates means more waste saved from the landfill, less clutter in our customer’s homes, and more valuable donations in the hands of local non-profits.
We are quickly growing and can't wait to expand our engineering team. We offer a strong benefits package, a flexible work and vacation schedule, and a team invested in the personal growth of its employees. This is a unique opportunity to get in at the beginning and help build something special!
About the role
We're looking for a full-stack engineer who can define, design, code, test, and debug features for both our web site and our backend logistics platform. As one of our early engineering hires, you will have the opportunity to play a significant role in shaping our architecture and team culture as we grow. You should be willing to get your hands dirty (literally) and see what it means to run a recycling and reuse business, as much of what we do on the technology side involves deeply understanding our operations and how to scale it as we grow.
This is a remote full-time position with the opportunity to work from our downtown Seattle office if you live in the area. We give you flexibility to decide when, where, and how to get your work done. We do ask that you be available for team meetings which occur during the overlap of core business hours for Alaskan, Pacific, Mountain, Central, and Eastern time. You also need to be comfortable working digitally with teams around the country.
Compensation includes both salary and equity options. At this time, we can only hire US-based candidates.
This position has a salary range of $160,000 - $190,000/year. This range is a good-faith estimate for this position. The final salary offer will be determined after reviewing relevant factors, which include a candidate's qualifications and experience, where appropriate.
- Our Member is our Hero. Our members are at the core of our company. Only by empowering them can we accomplish our vision.
- We Never Settle. We are relentlessly pursuing the exceptional and challenging the status quo–always making our service, experience, and company better.
- We Take Our Success Personally. We all have a stake in the success of Ridwell. You are empowered to make an impact.
- Purpose Drives Our Actions. Knowing why we are doing something enables us to focus on what is truly important.
- We Are Stronger Together. Every person is critical to our success. We need diverse perspectives to execute on creative solutions. By fostering collaboration and connection at every level, we can be phenomenal.
How to succeed in this role
- You care about our members. You continually work to improve the experience of our members, our drivers, and our internal admin team.
- You communicate effectively and clearly. You can explain technical concepts and limitations to team members and stakeholders succinctly and without getting frustrated. You excel in both synchronous and asynchronous forms of communication.
- Lack of definition doesn’t scare you. You work to understand a problem, how it contributes to our goals, and can clearly communicate your findings to team members.
- You are resourceful. You can debug and resolve any issue and be assigned any type of feature work, no matter how ill-defined, and drive to an appropriate resolution.
- You find balance between feature work and tech debt. You know when it’s necessary to go the extra mile with fully refactored code and an exhaustive test suite, and you know when it makes more sense to throw together a quick and dirty script that meets most of the business goals.
- You care about the “Why”. You are thoughtful about the future of our experience and keep our members’ goal to waste less as top priority. You tackle tasks with a purpose-driven approach.
- You are a leader. You provide mentorship to colleagues and participate in recruiting and interviewing candidates. When you notice a problem, you don’t just call it out, you find a solution.
We're open to a variety of backgrounds and experiences, but here are the general skills and experience we’re looking for
- Candidates should be able to reference previous projects or experiences that demonstrate these skills.
- Engineering skills: Understands the domain of web application development; writes clear and concise code; plans out a solution before jumping into the code.
- Proficiency in React
- Proficiency in SQL
- Experience building and maintaining REST or GraphQL APIs
- Experience designing relational database schemas
- Experience with cloud infrastructure, preferably AWS
- Cross-functional team collaboration: Has a commitment to learning from and teaching the team, a collaborative attitude, and humility. Understands business priorities and user needs, and cares about the overall experience of users. Clearly and effectively communicates to team members across domains.
- Product-mindedness: Feel comfortable talking with stakeholders, helping to define requirements and dependencies from both a technical and non-technical side. Willing and able to manage your own workflow and are an active participant in our sprint definition.
- Self-reliant: You enjoy digging in and solving problems. While you look to your team for support, review, and collaboration, you are capable and excited about learning our code-base quickly and making educated decisions on how to approach problems. You can manage your own workflow and time.
- Desire to build a more sustainable future: We dream of building a future without waste. Getting there will require a shared sense of purpose and commitment to our mission.
- Node / Typescript / Apollo GraphQL / Postgres backend
- React / Next.js frontend
- Sanity as CMS
- AWS / Heroku / Docker
Benefits at Ridwell
We are committed to creating a supportive environment for our employees.
We offer the following:
Medical, Vision, and Dental plans available with $0 monthly premium costs, with buy-up options available
Voluntary Life and AD&D for self and spouse/domestic partner
Voluntary Short-Term and Long-Term Disability insurance
Flexible Paid Time Off
Sick leave in accordance to state requirements
Paid Holidays 7 paid days per year
Paid parental leave
Commuter Benefits for parking and/or transit
Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides 4 counseling sessions per incident for common challenges such as relationship, family issues, stress, anxiety, and other life challenges
Employee Discount on Ridwell Membership
Individuals seeking employment at Ridwell are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
How we are protecting employees from COVID-19
At Ridwell, employee health and safety is our top priority. We have implemented processes and precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19. For more information, please contact our HR department at HR@Ridwell.com.