Head of Safety & Security
Gaithersburg, MD, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2023
What you’ll do:
- Effectively lead all physical security efforts for Overtime (OTE, OT7, OTX, OT Select) venues, staff, athletes, and events.
- Continuously evaluate and adapt security protocols to identify emerging vulnerabilities, emphasizing proactive measures versus post-incident reaction;
- Develop and institute plans that will evaluate, track, and provide for quick response to external security threats.
- Administration of all physical security systems, including but not limited to access control, video surveillance cameras, alarms, and fire panels.
- Guide the development and implementation of Arena Security Standards and Venue Operations, focusing on providing pre-emptive strategies, mitigating risk, and identifying appropriate contingency planning.
- Conduct periodic inspections of all programs to ensure compliance with established and documented policies; implement corrective actions when discrepancies are noted.
- Prepare for all on-site games/events including conducting pre-security briefings with security team, coordinate the scheduling of external event staffing personnel including, but not limited to, off-duty police officers, canine assets, and emergency services.
- Supervise contract guard force and author, review, and implement guard force work objectives.
- Respond to incidents and events that impact the business and ensure appropriate action is taken. Review, evaluate, and approve daily incident reports regarding investigations of theft, accidents, safety violations, and all other issues.
- Conduct investigations and inquiries into all matters that may adversely impact the safety and security of athletes, staff, fans, and Overtime venues while maintaining accountability for all incident documentation while ensuring quick and accurate recall of any required/requested information.
- Collaborate with management in developing, and managing the league’s safety and security training program, ensuring training is regularly provided to all personnel.
- Establish relationships with internal and external partners and use your network of law enforcement and security professionals on the federal, state, and local levels.
- Ensure that facility operations are consistent with industry standards and that the physical security strategy is aligned with the business needs.
- Properly document and maintain all organizational security policies and procedures in a clear and orderly manner.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to build security plans and access control protocols and event credentialing for athlete residence and venue;
- Monitor news, social media, and intelligence to identify and assess potential threats against the league, brand, players, and/or teams
Who you are:
- 10+ years of experience in either corporate security, law enforcement, sports, and entertainment security, or a related field.
- Resourceful, results-oriented, innovative, and forward-thinking; self-starter with strong social skills and team-oriented work style.
- Aptitude to successfully navigate between business, basketball, and security environments.
- A leader with confirmed experience in facility management, event security, emergency planning, and crowd control/management strategies.
- Shown success in conducting complex law enforcement investigations and security operations
- Excellent oral and written communicator with the ability to tactfully and diplomatically communicate outside of your domain of expertise, with an emphasis on preparing comprehensive and meaningful reports and presentations for OTE executive leadership.
- Experienced in creating and managing budgets and risk assessments.
- Capable of maintaining the utmost confidentiality of sensitive information.
- A mentor, trusted partner, and spokesperson for the security program.
- A professional, service-oriented team member who is able to build positive relationships with fans/guests attending games and venue events.
- Proficient in the operation and use of various software applications, including but not limited to Microsoft Office and video management systems.
- Familiar with the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and the Incident Command System (ICS) functions.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays as needed and to be present to respond to emergencies within a reasonable time.
- Active membership in security-related organizations that discuss and monitor current security industry standards and best practices preferred.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.